The History of Our Cathedral

Our History

 

The Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) arrived in Brownsville in 1849 after the Bishop of Galveston, Jean Marie Odin, requested their help. 

The Cathedral was designed by Father Pierre Yves Keralum, also known as Padre Pedrito.

The early years of the Oblates in Brownsville was marked by wars, hositile Native Americans, disease epidemics, hurricanes and lawlessness.

Despite all these hardships, the Oblates in Brownsville helped build churches in the area that is today known as the Diocese of Brownsville.

The Cathedral has also gone through though times. It has survived hurricanes, fires, and explosions.

               

 

 

 


 

Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!